Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Plantations and Ploughed Fields


I've been expanding my collection of terrain lately, and decided I needed a few more pieces of crops and ploughed fields. 

These here are made using spaghetti sticks, covered with my special recipe of Texture (tm). The emperor wanted to go for a ride around the painting room, so I made use of him to show the scale of the terrain pieces here. 

SAM_1015

SAM_1016

I added some flocking to a couple of the fields, to have more diversity of terrain, and I think they look quite good in representing small family kitchen gardens.

SAM_1017

SAM_1018

SAM_1019

Having finished with using spaghetti on my terrain production, and being quite satisfied with the results, I treated myself with what would perhaps be deemed a more orthodox use of pasta, and came up with a tasty mushroom gravy to feast on while congratulating myself over the results of my latest project.

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-11 at 09.38.13

7 comments:

  1. I like the look of these. What do you use for the base of the garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thick cardboard. It requires that you put some weight on all sides of it, while the texture is drying, to prevent it from bending due to shrinkage, though. You may as well used mdf, which is less prone to bending, but still requires some weight on it while drying up.

      Delete
  2. They look great..I´ll borrow that idea.
    I´ve used both thick Card and MDF in the past..maybe it´s just me, but it always warps. I do the weighting it down etc as it dries but weeks or months later it has warped slightly..maybe the damp out of the air (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's odd, Paul. I don't recollect facing this problem of warping weeks after, but indeed it's probably something related to air humidity. Perhaps you could try storing them on a drier enviroment? Maybe using those small salt bags that absord lockers' humidity and keep clothes from getting mold.

      Delete
  3. Very good idea! The result is great! Already I have the desire to make gardens at your example. The reason I think to make from sheet plastic wastes from advertising companies. They always have a trimmed, damaged or unnecessary material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice additions to the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete